Monday, February 25, 2013

Riding the Pampas

Day 123 (February 15, 2013)
Gobenador Costa, Argentina to Fitz Roy, Argentina
Day's Ride: 336 Miles



Today was all Pampas.



There isn't really much to see; just lot's of scrub brush, the ocasional animal, and an unbeliavably strong crosswind.





About two hours into the ride, I felt something hit the top of my leg. I figured that something had fallen off my bike; a quick look revealed that the bolt holding my windscreen to the fairing strut had fallen out.



I pulled over and fixed it with a zip tie before turning around and riding slowly back up the road with my eyes glued to the pavement, hunting for the missing bolt. I amazed myself by actually finding it a few hundred meters back up the road:



For lunch I stopped at a roadside place for some Choripanes. Chori-pan = Chorizo (Sausage) + Pan (Bread). Essentially it's a sausage sandwich. Quite tasty.



I had to wait a few minutes while the couple that was running the joint went to get some more pan; meanwhile, I tended the meat:





I was sitting next to a small field and a little gurgling irrigation ditch; it was all very peaceful and bucholic.



The rest of the day was rather boring. I started passing lots of oil wells and eventually reached the Atlantic Ocean.





After riding for most of the day, I called it quits in the tiny little town of Fitz Roy. My rear tire was about shot by this time, so before looking for a place to stay, I went to the little Gomeria that I had seen on the edge of town and paid to have my tire changed.



I could have done it myself; however, I was pretty beat from the road and I figured that I could spare $4 to have a pro do it in about 10 minutes vice spending 30-40 minutes doing it myself.



After the tire change, I was riding around town trying to find a hotel when I noticed a small dragging feeling coming from what I thought was the new tire. I got off to check, but couldn't find anything wrong, so I kept riding. Little did I know this would cause a fairly serious problem later....

I found a decent hotel a few minutes later.



The owner turned out to be a tough negotiator. The price for nights stay: a sausage:



Luckily he settled for a few bites of my Ramen noodles and we were soon fast friends:



The hotel had wifi; unfortunately, it wasn't working and I couldn't reset the router because it was locked inside of an office that no one seemed to have a key for.

No comments:

Post a Comment